Tuesday, November 8, 2011

new kicks and sicks

some of you may be aware of my stomach of steel. it's the stuff of legends. i haven't thrown up since the fifth grade, and with the exception of two isolated incidents and the first trimester, i haven't even dry-heaved in over two decades. it pains me (in more ways than one) to report that the reign is now over. oh my god we were SO SICK this past weekend.

because i know everyone loves a good vomit story, i'll give you the timeline of our nasty viral friend's infiltration. on friday around midnight, violet threw up all over her bed. less than an hour later, she threw up all over me and our bed. how that much puke can come out of a 1%-ile baby, i have no idea. kevin had fallen asleep on the couch, and while he escaped getting puked on every hour until 5am by staying there for the remainder of the night, he was relegated to cleaner-upper, which i think is actually worse -- and that's saying something, considering that at one point violet somehow threw up in my mouth. aerodynamic, that kid. cut to saturday at midnight, and my toilet-hugging escapades began. kevin was felled around noon on sunday. we all stayed home yesterday, and kevin is still home today. nasty nastiness i tell you.

obviously we've been very worried about violet, but she is in good spirits and has plenty of wet diapers. i called to check on her at school, and she had just hoovered a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, so i'm happy to report that her appetite is back. (i'm sorry if yours is lost.)

in happier news, violet has been sporting her first pair of "real" stride rite shoes. i was genuinely afraid that she was never going to wear shoes without screaming bloody murder, but it seems to be sinking in that we put shoes on before we do fun out-of-the-house activities. i think it helped that we went to the kids shoe store at the local mall, and i asked her which pair she wanted. she pointed at a sweet hot pink style, and that's what we got. she seemed fascinated as the pretty russian salesgirl measured her foot and then gently slid on the shoe as if it was cinderella's glass slipper. violet wore her new kicks out and held my hand as we walked a few storefronts down to the disney store, where she then proceeded to run around like a madwoman. i freaking loved it, in case you couldn't guess.

here are a few pics of the shoes in action:





4 comments:

  1. golleee you poor things--I think you need some get-better shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Karen. Get-better shoes are totally in order for dealing with vomit for a full weekend.

    This may sound awful, but I kind of like it when Johnny gets sick because it means cuddles for Mommy. All other times he's all, "Peace out, Mom!" but when he's sick he actually wants his mama. Not that I like puking, but the cuddling makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about all this sickness! Hope you feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a truly awful story, but damn, you tell it so well. I hope all of you are feeling better by now - you guys are tough. I have never had either of my children throw up in my mouth (yet), but I suspect I wouldn't have such a great sense of humor about it.

    I love Violet's new shoes! They remind me of my favorite shoes from my childhood, which were pink Strawberry Shortcake sneakers.

    ReplyDelete